Saturday 19 May 2012

Why Do I Write Poetry?

People in my local pub have asked me Why do you write poetry, or even Is it true you write poetry? Yes I do, and I assure you that writing poetry is not incompatible with drinking in pubs. I have done both for more than sixty years.

When I was ten our English teacher said to us today just write anything you like, whatever you find interesting, write something about it, but it would be nice if somebody could write a poem. So I wrote "Ode to a Bubble" and to my astonishment it was published in the school magazine (edited by our English teacher.)

            Oh Bubble
            Spectral sphere
            Do draw near
            For if you veer
            Suddenly or wobble
            Oh Bubble
            I'm afraid
            You'll burst!

Not exactly Shakespearean, but that was how it all started. I continued to write poetry secretly for the next 60 years, during which time I earned my living in various ways, as a cook, barman, hotel manager, publican, commercial manager of Motorcycle News and Angling Times, shopkeeper (prams and baby goods), Co-Op milkman, manager of betting shops. Then at the age of 41 I decided to be sensible and qualify as an accountant. Being over 40 it is difficult to get a proper job, so I became a lecturer in Accountancy. After a few years I was so overwhelmed with people asking me to help them sort out their tax problems, I had to become self employed as an accountant, which I have remained for the past 36 years and guess what - throughout this whole life's odyssey I have scribbled poems into a succession of scruffy notebooks.

It never occured to me that my poems might be published. But one day on a whim I decided to join the Poetry Society and I went along to an open mic session at their headquarters in Covent Garden. Apart from the fact that they meet in central London to read poems to each other, I discovered that poets are very much like ordinary people. It was bit like venturing into a mental hospital and discovering that the inmates were as sane as the people outside. I started going regularly.

On my third visit, as I paid my OAP reduced entry fee, Niall O'Sullivan the poet who runs the open mic session asked me "Will you be reading?" "No I don't think so thank you," I said, though by then I had found sufficient courage to arrive with two poems in my inside pocket, though not enough courage to volunteer to read them.

Then the following week, in a rush of bravado, I said yes. I sat in the second row and thought to myself "Have I gone mad, what am I doing here?" I listened to the poets who read and thought, here we are at the headquarters of the Poetry Society (of GREAT BRITAIN), surely these must be eminent, established, probably published poets, so what am I doing here?

Then Niall announced "And tonight we have a virgin reader, Norman Andrews." I'd have been a bit sad to still be a virgin at 75, but he was right, I was certainly a virgin reader of poetry in public. So suddenly there I was, microphone in hand before a sea of expectant faces in a darkened room. There was no escape. So I just did it. The clapping seemed reasonably enthusiastic and afterwards in the cafe upstairs a couple of people said "I liked your poem about...." as I was recovering with a glass of wine. I recovered quite a bit that night, a very friendly place the Poetry Cafe.

That evening changed my life. I joined the Waltham Forest group of poets known as Forest Poets, who meet monthly at the Rose and Crown in Walthamstow, where I have had my poems constructively and helpfully criticised, occasionally praised, and I have made some good friends at a time of life when many people retreat into the sad and lonely cocoon of home. I get leaflets through the door inviting me to the Over Sixties Club. I do not wish to drink tea and play bingo with a load of wrinklies (even if I am one).

Since I said Yes to Niall O'Sullivan who invited me to read at the Poetry Society, I have now read poetry in public on 33 occasions, and on a few of those occasions the public has actually paid money to listen to me. And I am honoured to have twice stood on, or in front of, the Poetry Society's giant knitted poem (knitted by about 800 women and a couple of men - see Guinness Book of Records) where I have reminisced about Dylan Thomas then read the knitted poem by him "In my Craft and Sullen Art."

At the age of seventy seven, I write at least one poem every week, though some of them will not be read till after I have gone, So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment